The Story of O'Brien's Tower
O’Briens Tower was built in 1835 by the landlord of the locality – Cornelius O’Brien – a descendant of the first High King of Ireland, Brian Boru and a member of the O’Brien clan, whose influence spread throughout county Clare and beyond.
O’Brien built the tower as an observation platform for the visitors who were even then flocking to the Cliffs of Moher.
The tower was restored in 1970, 2008 and again this year in 2019. Since its construction, the tower has been used as a viewing point for the Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands.
On a clear day the view encompasses the coast of Connemara to the north across Galway Bay and the Clare coastline to Loop Head and beyond to the south.
This year the Tower underwent a large restoration project including the application of a new lime render thereby protecting the Tower for many years to come.
The interior has also been upgraded and we now offer a new experiential tour of the Tower led by our enthusiastic and knowledgeable tour guides.
The story of the infamous Cornelius O’Brien is brought to life through story and visual effects.
You can book a tour on site at point of entry or at reception.